[fpc-pascal] Very vague gettickcount64 description?

Martok listbox at martoks-place.de
Sun Sep 8 16:30:36 CEST 2019

Am 08.09.2019 um 13:17 schrieb Yuriy Sydorov:
> Sure, measurements using GetTickCount is not precise (+-20ms on Windows).
On any reasonably recent kernel, it has 16ms granularity and even before that
was always guaranteed to be a monotonically incrementing (except for the
rollover) number of milliseconds.

You would assume that `a physicist by education` is aware of the difference
between precision, resolution, granularity, and the concept of units...
Take a multimeter.
If I take my cheap 3 1/2 digit one and set it to the 20V range, it can display a
number like '19.99'. That's 10mV granularity, probably not even that in actual
resolution (depending on the ADC they used), but the precision appears high
since it is too blind to see any noise. The unit is Volt.
A "slightly more expensive" one from our lab could be a 4 1/2 digits Fluke,
displaying '19.999' in the same setting. That's 1mV granularity, it actually has
that resolution, and you start to see random noise in your signal so the
precision looks worse. The unit is also Volt.

And you're saying since everybody measures with a different device, there's no
point in specifying that we're talking about Volts and might as well write down
a number in centiVolts or something and not tell anyone.
Sure.

Oh, and difference vs absolute measurements has fuckall to do with that.

Martok