[fpc-pascal] unexpected termination with no errors

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Thu May 16 00:01:47 CEST 2019

Karoly Balogh (Charlie/SGR) <charlie at scenergy.dfmk.hu> schrieb am Mi., 15.
Mai 2019, 18:40:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 15 May 2019, Sven Barth via fpc-pascal wrote:
>
> >> (Sidenote: I've been pondering for a while if I should report this as a
> >> bug. I think the RTL should put a try-except around there, to show a
> >> stacktrace on unhandled exceptions, just like the main thread dying
> >> does, but who knows which Delphi de-facto standard behavior would that
> >> violate, so meh...)
> >
> > That is already the case at least for TThread descendants as can be seen
> > in rtl/unix/tthread.inc, ThreadFunc. This is needed for the
> > FatalException field.
>
> Hmm, I see, indeed. Should have checked the source code, but I never
> cared... -.-' Well, the stacktrace is stilly only printed on DEBUG_MT, if
> i'm correct?, so from the developer's perspective, the thread is still
> dying 'silently', and sometimes it's hard to identify if your thread went
> away or just blocked, when seeing an issue... Anyway, not important and
> unrelated here.

It won't terminate quietly, because FatalException will be set in that case
(of course assuming that FreeOnTerminate is false). This means that the
user must actively check whether a thread crashed. But that would be the
necessary with any other mechanism as well, cause we don't want to
automatically print a stack trace as the developer might not want that or
it might not even be possible (e.g. writing to StdOut or StdErr would not
be possible on Windows for GUI applications).

Though maybe one could add an event that is triggered when an exception had
been raised. That would give the developer the opportunity to handle the
exception when it occurred.

Regards,
Sven