[fpc-pascal] bug in make install ?

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Mon Mar 18 23:21:47 CET 2019

On Mon, 18 Mar 2019 22:04:17 +0100
Joost van der Sluis <joost at cnoc.nl> wrote:

>[...]
> > If fppkg.cfg is the cause, why does the Lazarus initial setup not
> > tell this?
>
> I found it difficult to come up with a descriptive message.
>
> Do you think that "fppkg.cfg" is better then "fppkg configuration"?

Definitely.
It would be even better to tell the full file name.
e.g. /etc/fpcpkg.cfg.

> Problem is that it could also be in the fppkg-compiler configuration
> file (by default called default). But it could also be something
> else. To be honest, I don't have a clue why it does not work for you.

That's my problem too. That's why I'm asking for a better error message.

> One guess would be that you do not have the fpmkunit-directory
> available.

It would be extremely helpful, if it would check common mistakes, like
this. An error message "Directory /path/fpmkunit is missing. Check your
/etc/fpcpkg.cfg." would be far better than "Error: the Fppkg
configuration is corrupt."
What is corrupt? Is something missing, too much, not readable, did a
command fail? What did it check to come to this conclusion?

Or if it does not fit into a one or two sentences, you can give a link
"See here how to setup fppkg http://wiki.freepascal.org/...".

Same with
"Failed to create a new Fppkg configuration. You will have to fix the
configuration manually or reinstall Free Pascal."
What did it try? What command failed?

> >> Use samplecfg to do that:
> >>
> >> sh compiler/utils/samplecfg /usr/local/lib/fpc/3.3.1

As root that would overwrite my /etc/fpc.cfg
As normal user it creates /home/mattias/.fpc.cfg

> > Or this?
> >

> >> Btw: you can also use the button in Lazarus in the initial
> >> configuration screen which will essentially do the same. At least
> >> is should.
> >
> > Does not work. Can you elaborate, what it should do?
>
> Call samplecfg. ;)
>
> The dialog checks if the given prefix is valid. (It checks for the
> existence of a few files)

Lazarus does similar checks with fpc. Some fpc version changed some
paths, some platforms have different files. Boom, the user gets a
wrong error message. That's why the IDE should tell exactly, what it
checked.

> It has some hard-coded paths to check for
> to fill the combobox, and it extracts the prefix from the given
> compiler-executable.

It guessed the prefix correctly.

> When you click on the button to create the new configuration-file, it
> calls 'fpcmkcfg -3' and 'fpcmkcfg -4' with the parameters deducted
> from the given prefix. Just like samplecfg on Linux does.
>
> After this, it re-loads fppkg. And it checks if the rtl-package can
> be found. If this is not the case, it complains.
>
> So, can you give the output of 'fppkg listsettings' and 'fppkg list
> -d', to check why it can not find the rtl?

Probably it fails because I have old 2.6.4 fppkg configs.

Mattias