[fpc-pascal] Need Advice: Teaching a Child Programming

Ralf Quint freedos.la at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 19:03:25 CET 2019

On 3/6/2019 8:06 AM, Anthony Walter wrote:
> I need some advice from you guys.
>
> I might soon be teaching a child about computer programming and am
> considering using Free Pascal as the first language. The problem is
> the child is a distance away from me and I want a way to see his code
> as he types and help him along by moving his cursor and sending him
> snippets or correcting his code while he watches, all done remotely
> along with two way voice chat.
>
> I need some sort of tool to help with this. I could simply use Skype
> and set him up to allow me to occasionally take control remotely, but
> I am wondering if there might be a better way?
>
> What do you people think?
>
> I was considering writing a small cross platform desktop text editor
> type application that would forward to me the text and cursor location
> as he types, and allow me to change his text and highlight text and
> move the cursor. That wouldn't be very difficult, but I would need a
> separate program for VOIP, and I also might want syntax highlighting,
> code completion drop downs, compile functions.
>
> Again, do you people have any suggestions?

If you're doing this with Windows on both sides, you can use AeroAdmin
(https://www.aeroadmin.com/en/) to remotely see (and even assist) his
remote screen. I use this as a remote support tool...

You still would have to use Skype for the voice communication though,
but that can run just in the background.

Ralf

---