[fpc-pascal] PMake a new build tool

silvioprog silvioprog at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 03:04:43 CET 2019

On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 7:13 PM Darius Blaszyk <dhkblaszyk at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,

Hi Darius.

> I would like to inform everyone interested here that I just made a beta
> release (v0.0.2) of a build tool I have been developing for some of my
> projects which is called PMake.
> PMake is inspired on FPMake and CMake, but much easier in its use (as far
> as I am concerned). It compiles build "script" code into a "make" tool and
> regenerates the build tools on demand. A nice feature is autogenerating the
> build scripts, based on the files in the source tree. You can also do
> out-of-source builds and install files and package files (ZIP only for
> now). PMake parses the output of FPC to create visually more distinctive
> output.
> The basic concept are collections of unit files called libraries. These
> libraries are labelled symbolically. The labels are used to assign
> dependencies. It's also possible to create dependencies on generated output
> (revision number to source file for instance) and compiled files, then
> generating output even (some tool that generates an output file in turn).
> There even much more...
>
> The project is located here: https://github.com/daar/pmake

This is great news!

I'm familiar to CMake and your tool looks like a lot its script syntax. :-)

I've looked for something like this to automate the build of some projects
I'm maintaining, so I have some questions:

Could it build a Delphi-based project too? If so, does it allows to select
the build for a specific platform/config? (e.g: Win32/Release)

Could I link the build of an external 3rd party project to automate it
inside a PMake-based project? For example, supposing I have a C library
using CMake-based build, could this library be built while (before or
after) the PMake builds the Pascal project? ( something like CMake's
ExternalProject_Add() and, optionally, some alternative to
ExternalProject_Get_Property() )

Please test if you like, comment if you have an idea or ignore if you're
> not interested...
>
> Rgds, Darius

I liked it. (y)

It probably will help me a lot to automate the build of
interlinked projects simultaneously using two or three commands. :-)

--
Silvio Clécio