[fpc-pascal] USB Human Interface Devices

James Richters james at productionautomation.net
Wed Aug 21 21:48:50 CEST 2019

Well..  It doesn’t always work just reading constantly and writing in a different thread..

So I have my fast read loop always reading then my LCD write loop sending the 3 packets every 0.3 Seconds.. and it functions ok, and I don’t miss too many counts... but every so often I get this message:
libusb: warning [handle_timeout] async cancel failed -5 errno=0

I have a timeout on my read loop of 10ms.  I tried setting that to 0 so it would just wait for input in it's thread.. but when I do that I get this as soon as I attempt to write to it:
An unhandled exception occurred at $00007FFF189F03C6:
EAccessViolation: Access violation
  $00007FFF189F03C6
  $00007FFF189EDA21
  $00007FFF17AAA1A1
  $00007FFF17AA9CB5
  $000000006B607FFB
  $000000006B6081E7
  $000000006B60C695
  $000000006B605D6F
  $000000006B607E40
  $000000010001B1CA
  $00000001000021BF  main,  line 445 of whb04b-4_test.pas
  $00000001000022B6
  $000000010000EC20
  $0000000100001880
  $00007FFF17B47E94
  $00007FFF18A4A251

Also if I put in a really long timeout like 1000ms I get that.  Line 445 is
libusbhid_set_report(device_context, HID_REPORT_TYPE_FEATURE, $6 , 8 , WhB04_Packet1 );

so I can't write while I'm reading or waiting for a read after all.

So I came up with a scheme to set all the variables in the slow loop then set a Boolean variable when it's done.. then the fast loop checks for the flag if it is idle for a time, meaning it's not trying to keep up with input.. and that does work.. and I don't miss many counts... but it does miss a few... but I STILL get this
libusb: warning [handle_timeout] async cancel failed -5 errno=0

even though as far as I can tell, I can't possible be reading and writing at the same time.

I've updated my test project here: https://github.com/Zaaphod/libusbxhid/blob/master/WHB04B-4_test.pas

I don't really know what libusb: warning [handle_timeout] async cancel failed -5 errno=0 is trying to tell me... it is having an issue canceling waiting for data after the time out I guess.. but why is that a problem?

Any Ideas?

James