[fpc-pascal] mode switch madness

Jonas Maebe jonas at freepascal.org
Mon Apr 15 17:52:29 CEST 2019

On 15/04/2019 17:19, Zoë Peterson wrote:
> On 4/14/2019 10:41 AM, Jonas Maebe wrote:
>> That was because Apple did the same with the Objective-C language:
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Objective-C#Objective-C_2.0 :)
>
> How does $modeswitch objectivec1 differ from objectivec2?  That article
> mentions that Objective-C 2.0 added 64-bit support, but we've only had
> objectivec1 enabled and our 64-bit builds appear to be working without
> issue?

Objective-C 2.0 also language features that rely on run time support
(which is only available in the Objective-C 2.0 runtime). In FPC, the
only extra difference is that fast enumerations are supported through
the "for .. in" syntax if that mode is enabled. It indeed does not make
any difference as far as 32/64 bit support is concerned.

Jonas