[fpc-pascal] FPC on gaming consoles: XBox One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Thu May 10 03:38:03 CEST 2018

The more I was reading about console development, the more I understood
that the main problem are NDAs that seem to still "guard" the information
about each consoles closed APIs.

This would mean that it is impossible to openly distribute an open-source
code interfacing with e.g. PlayStation custom OS. Precluding open-source
support from both FPC and Castle Game Engine for the consoles. Any code
that uses some API covered by NDA must be closed-source, can be available
only to people who also signed the NDA.

I do not know are the NDAs so drastic for all the modern consoles too (Xbox
One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch). Xbox One seems to be more open, with
things like Universal Windows Platform openly documented.

Ogre3d was facing a similar problem, see
https://www.ogre3d.org/2006/01/08/official-support-for-game-consoles
. That said, that post is from 2006, I'm hoping that things are better in
2018:)

Regards,
Michalis