[fpc-pascal] Syntax changes suggestions

Martin fpc at mfriebe.de
Tue Jul 17 21:15:04 CEST 2018

> On Tue, 17 Jul 2018, Vojtěch Čihák wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Lazarus has option "Show Class/Proc Hint" which displays method name
>> (with light-green background) as the top line in source editor, only
>> if the method's body is longer than number of lines in source editor.
>> Maybe new option "Show Proc var block" for permanent displaying var
>> block in long methods would be enough? Jumps between code and
>> declaration would not be needed.
>
> If such a thing is implemented, then why not make it as the 'local
> variables' debug dialog, a separate floating window, maybe stay-on-top  ?
>
> If you put it at the top of the source editor, it risks to take a lot
> of space out
> of the source editor window, which kind of defeats the purpose, I
> suppose.
- Clone the current source editor, so you get another window.
- Scroll it to the block you want
- Resize it as needed
- Select "Lock Page" from the tabs popup menu
   (This will prevent, codetools from scrolling this window, if you
navigate in the unit)

The result:
- you keep the variables in view
- if you "jump to declaration" of a variable (that is not visible in the
current window), it will jump to it in the "locked" window
- if you jump back to previous location, you will be back in the
unlocked window