[fpc-pascal] Stack alias for ARC like memory management?

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Wed Apr 25 16:18:18 CEST 2018

On Wed, 25 Apr 2018, Ryan Joseph wrote:

>> On Apr 25, 2018, at 8:42 PM, Michael Van Canneyt <michael at freepascal.org> wrote:
>>
>> 'make it competitive with new entries in the market' is not a goal of the
>> free pascal team.
>>
>> This is a hobby project for most devs. Monetary gain is not a goal.
>>
>> Probably sounds like an anachronism in this day and age, but there you are...
>
> That’s what I thought initially.  I understand Pascal is a hobby for many
> here and they’re doing their best to keep the language alive in the face
> of an ever changing market.  Personally I just want Pascal to be the best
> it can be so I can continue to use it in the future without making more
> and more compromises in productivity.

I want the same for pascal.

But I really still need to see convincing evidence that language features contribute to productivity.

Available libraries for common programming tasks - and I mean this on a high-level
level - are infinitely more important, so I don't need to get down to the
gory details of many tasks:

* Creating a PDF.
* Creating a good-looking report from Data.
* Have an API that reads google protocol data.
* A good ORM/OPF.
* Reading a smartcard.
* Access a Google,Facebook,Twitter, MS or what-have-you-not REST API.
* A wizard that makes a Data entry form based on a TDataset or object.
* Classes to make a REST API.
* Classes to make/consume a SOAP service.
* Code that transforms a JSON structure to object classes plus the code to
* read/write the JSON.

These are things that make me win time.

a low-level feature such as Memory management is really the least of my worries.
Use TComponent or reference counted interfaces if such things bothers you.

Michael.