[fpc-pascal] Minimum Linux version for FPC 3.0.2 (armhf)

Florian Klämpfl florian at freepascal.org
Mon Nov 20 20:18:21 CET 2017

Am 20.11.2017 um 19:50 schrieb Tobias Giesen:
> Hello,
> I wonder what the minimum Linux version is ... I have made NAS versions of my app,
> and it runs fine on an older Synology NAS with this uname info:
> Linux DS-212j 2.6.32.12
> armv5tel GNU/Linux synology_88f6281_212j
>
> But it crashes with access violations, and EThread exceptions on this old QNAP Linux:
> Linux QNAPTS109II 2.6.12.6-arm1
> armv5tejl unknown
>
> All newer QNAP versions running Linux 3.x are fine. But that firmware is not available
> for the some of the really old boxes.
>
> I admit that it's not important for me to support the old Linux, but I wonder what
> causes it and if it can be fixed?

Are the older ones really armhf? Even for the DS-212 I doubt it. Can you please post the output of
cat /proc/cpuinfo

Another reason might be the use of kernel based synchronization primitives (e.g. kuser_cmpxchg),
those appeared years ago in the kernel, I gues around 2.6.20. You can test this by removing the
defines SYSTEM_HAS_KUSER_... in fpc/rtl/arm/armdefines.inc and recompile fpc.