[fpc-pascal] FORTRAN from FreePascal

Schindler Karl-Michael karl-michael.schindler at web.de
Mon Nov 20 12:52:13 CET 2017

> Am 20.11.2017 um 12:00 schrieb fpc-pascal-request at lists.freepascal.org:
>
> Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2017 11:14:50 +0000
> From: Mark Morgan Lloyd <markMLl.fpc-pascal at telemetry.co.uk>
> To: fpc-pascal at lists.freepascal.org
> Subject: Re: [fpc-pascal] FORTRAN from FreePascal
>
> Oh really? Well I'll let you travel back in time and argue with numerous
> former colleagues who've routinely found differences between their
> "fortran" (-IV, -77 or whatever) and "fast fortran" compilers which in
> those days tended to be separate programs even if supplied together.

Wasn't the problem somewhat different? There have always been "fast-math" version of some costly function. So, the point was, whether the faster routines could be used at the price of their larger numerical errors. Similarly, the choice of the optimization level of a compiler needed to be checked.

Furthermore, the wide spread use of fortran for numerical intense simulation up to this date stands in contrast to your statement, in particular in the field called high performance computing.

MiSchi.