[fpc-pascal] FPC install on windows with limited rights

Mon Nov 6 23:16:51 CET 2017

On 2017-11-06 04:04, Flávio Etrusco wrote:
> AFAICS it would require quite a few enhancements (and modifications to
> the user scripts) to abstract away per-machine vs per-user
> declarations in InnoSetup.

I can't see why you think that. I used the unpack tool Michael
suggested, and unpacked the official Windows FPC installer. The unpacked
layout was as if they zipped the FPC distribution after it was built
(compiled). All I had to do was generate a fpc.cfg file and modify the
paths inside to match my Windows laptop. FPC 3.0.2 now runs perfectly
from my severely limited user account's home directory.

Such flexibility really should come as standard with every installer -
always give the user the option to install system wide, or per user or
"portable". The EditPad Pro (commercial text editor) has been doing it
for years. So much so, everybody found their installer so useful it
became a spin-off commercial product on its own. Editpad Pro's single
install executable allows installing 32-bit or 64-bit versions of the
editor; if it should be installed system wide, per user or "usb
portable". Oh, and there installer runs on Win98 all the way to Win10 -
no artificial limitations like InnoSetup (can't install on XP or older).

   https://www.editpadpro.com/
   https://www.deploymaster.com/

Regards,
   Graeme