[fpc-pascal] FPC install on windows with limited rights

James Richters james at productionautomation.net
Thu Nov 2 11:31:18 CET 2017

I'm curious if it really needs to be installed?  I installed it on my desktop computer then just copied the entire FPC directory to my NAS, then went to my laptop where FPC was never installed, mapped a drive to access the FPC copy on the NAS and ran it, and everything seems fine to me.    I have even put the entire thing on a USB hard drive and plugged it into customers computers and made source adjustments then recompiled the program and had no problems at all.... I certainly would never have my source code on their hard drive... and I never install anything on their computer.

Maybe this is just something I get away with because my source code and FPC are on the same drive or NAS share and I use relative paths in fp.ini for FU like -Fu..\..\FPC\3.0.4rc1\units\$fpctarget\* and I also usually have a batch file in with my source code that just calls FPC with a relative path like  ..\..\FPC\3.0.4rc1\bin\FPC %1 %2 %3 %4   It's just something I always have done since turbo pascal,  which I also never installed,  just copied the TP directory wherever I wanted to run it.

Anyway.. I run FPC all over the place and never "install" it.

James