[fpc-pascal] FPC install on windows with limited rights

Thu Nov 2 21:00:27 CET 2017

On 2017-11-02 10:31, James Richters wrote:
> I'm curious if it really needs to be installed?

FPC and Lazarus can run just fine without an installer. In fact, that is
how I've been running FPC and Lazarus under Linux and FreeBSD for the
last 10 years. The problem under Windows was that I couldn't get hold of
a v3.0.2 FPC binary. The only Windows installer for FPC requires admin
rights to run, which I couldn't do on my work laptop.

But now that Michael mentioned the Inno Setup Unpacking tool, I managed
to unpack the setup. Now I can copy that to my home folder setup the
fpc.cfg and then go from there (compile fpGUI, compile Lazarus etc.).

The FPC team really should consider releasing a Windows binary zip
release too. It really wouldn't be any extra effort as they already prep
everything for Inno Setup, so a simply ZIP command is all that would be
needed.

Regards,
   Graeme

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/