[fpc-pascal] FPC Graphics options?

Tue May 16 00:27:40 CEST 2017

On 2017-05-15 22:50, noreply at z505.com wrote:
> Graeme will need to clarify whether he was trying to be harsh on FPC
> entirely, or just specifically in some areas.. :-)

I'll try and clarify... I believe FPC generates slow (or slower than
Delphi, GCC and Java) code no matter what. The saving grace is that you
don't really notice it on normal event-based desktop applications.
Writing a game is a whole different story. Games are way more sensitive
to performance.

Now the game I wrote, was a desktop GUI application. It was slow under
Linux, FreeBSD and Windows. So the results were consistent, no matter
what GUI API was used.... Be that fpGUI (via GDI), fpGUI (via X11) or
LCL-GTK2. In all cases, game rendering was to a memory image, then once
done, that memory image was bitblit to the Window Canvas.

The Java and GCC versions did the same, but were faster.

That's all I can say about. Make your own assumptions - read into it any
conspiracy theories or what-not. ;-) At this point I don't really care,
as I already moved on with that project, using OpenGL instead (both for
Java and Object Pascal).

Regards,
   Graeme

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/