[fpc-pascal] Implementing AggPas with PtcGraph

James Richters james at productionautomation.net
Fri Jun 16 19:49:43 CEST 2017

I've been able to use windows fonts with aggpas with the following code:

   agg^.Font('ConsolaB.ttf' ,45 );
   agg^.Text(300 ,100 ,'Text Here' );

and it works fine if I copy the font to the same folder as my program.  I'm wondering how I can just use standard windows fonts without copying them... but not assuming windows is installed in c:\windows

agg^.Font('C:\Windows\Fonts\ConsolaB.ttf' ,45 )
works fine, but as I mentioned I can't be sure windows is installed in C:\Windows

I would like to do something like:
agg^.Font('%windir%\Fonts\ConsolaB.ttf' ,45 );

but of course that won't work because the %windir% variable only works in batch files.

Is there some other way I can capture the install directory of windows, or the system so I can make this work properly?

Also, while I was tinkering with this,  I also wanted to see what differences there are between Freetype and Windows True Type fonts, and I noticed something odd..
If I compile with {$DEFINE AGG2D_USE_FREETYPE }  it works fine... but if I compile with it commented out,  it does work, and I get text on the screen, but the font is not the one I selected.  It seems to be a default font that I can't change. Does the font need to be defined differently if using Win32 TT font engine?    I am using the current 'develop' branch of fpGUI version of aggpas now.  I have not tried it with the release version.

I'm also wondering if there is a way to specify the font by the name used by windows applications, or is that more complicated than it is really worth?

James