[fpc-pascal] fpc code for Java class and Android.

Jon Foster jon-lists at jfpossibilities.com
Tue Apr 18 19:27:16 CEST 2017

On 04/18/2017 10:13 AM, Jon Foster wrote:
> On 04/18/2017 04:38 AM, Paul Breneman wrote:
>> On 04/17/2017 08:42 PM, Jon Foster wrote:
>>> You have to copy the app to "/data/tmp" as that is usually the only
>>> place on Android with a Linux file system that all users have access to.
>>> You can't look in there so you kind of have to fly blind. :-) "Terminal
>>> IDE" makes this easier, assuming you have a compatible Android version,
>>> since it provides the Linux file system space, term emulator and easy
>>> access.
>>>
>>> This was what I thought Paul was looking to do. FreeVision might work
>>> depending on a number of variables... but I'm not familiar with it. Most
>>> Android terminal apps would provide some kind of VT100 like emulation so
>>> you may have to force FreeVision to output for that emulation. If it
>>> tries to use a "termcap" through normal means it probably will crash.
>>>

>> Thanks Jon *very* much for the details that you shared!  I hope to get
>> time to get back into this soon and I'm sure that your notes will help.
>>
>> The last problem that I had *three years* ago was that I failed to get
>> the mouse to work in the text mode IDE (I did have a keyboard and mouse
>> that worked in Android).  The mouse is not absolutely required for the
>> simple programs I'd like to do.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Paul
> The "mouse" will more than likely be unavailable. Most people don't think
> "terminal" and "mouse". Still if you can find an Android terminal app
> with "gpm" or xterm style mouse support it could work. I've never used a
> "text mode" mouse in Linux. I can't think of any terminal based programs
> I use that offer mouse support. :-) And then you could always download an
> OpenSource terminal app and hack it to provide that support. The "xterm"
> man page documents its mouse protocol, which is probably the defacto
> standard.
>
> THX - Jon

I should also mention that PascalGUI is probably the most mature
FPC+term+editor app that I know of. Its been a while but it seems they've
added some nice touches. I had been using "Pascal Develop" since I could
download the source and alter its compile target. But it doesn't provide
proper terminal emulation and came packaged with FPC 2.6 pre v3 beta, which
was good at the time since 3 hadn't been out yet. :-D I patched and added
many FPC units to his original set, which I think he released.

--
Jon Foster
JF Possibilities, Inc.
jon at jfpossibilities.com