[fpc-pascal] Underscores in numerical literals - grouping

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 21 20:06:57 CET 2016

Am 21.11.2016 18:27 schrieb "Graeme Geldenhuys" <
mailinglists at geldenhuys.co.uk>:

> On 2016-11-21 15:52, Stephen Chrzanowski wrote:
> > but I've always preferred mono-spaced fonts in my IDE versus
> > variable width, JUST on the primary basis of legibility of the code
itself,
> > ignoring the 'gravy' of lining up text within the code.
>
> Hence I mentioned "think Elastic Tabstops" which solves that problem for
> proportional and monospace fonts. I've used Elastic Tabstop support in
> jEdit (java based editor) for the last 3 years, and it works brilliantly.

While elastic tabstops might be nice and good I personally definitely
wouldn't want anything but a monospaced font in my editors (one of the
first things I change in Notepad++ is the idiocy to use Comic Sans for
comments). That's not only due to code alignment (which would indeed be
solved by elastic tabstops), but also due to the ability to easily compare
different names simply based on their visual length without having to
decide whether the difference is due to the name or the different sized
characters.

Regards,
Sven