[fpc-pascal] Please someone explain this to me

Anthony Walter sysrpl at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 20:12:36 CET 2016

Thanks everyone for taking notice in the include file problem. I'm note
sure about other people, but to me its a problem that sometimes limits me
from following the source code. Ideally there should be one file per unit
with an interface section and an implementation section and no include
files, but I can understand how the multi-platform features of FPC and
Lazarus necessitate using include files.

I think the thing is I can't help but feel there should be a better system
for organizing implementations for different systems. For example, many
units use include file in their interface sections. Is that really
necessary and what does that achieve other than making it more difficult to
understand what's being declared? And could the IDE be enhanced to should
which unit is ultimately including a file? Obviously the CodeTools already
knows, it was able to deduce the identifier exists and that it has a
declaration by looking through the units in the uses clause in the current
unit. Couldn't something therefore display the unit name in IDE, possibly
in the include file's source code tab (e.g. system.pas - dynlibh.inc)?

Thanks for considering this as an issue.