[fpc-pascal] IfThen() intrinsic removed

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Thu Feb 4 23:13:34 CET 2016

On Thu, 4 Feb 2016, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 7:33 PM, Michael Van Canneyt
> <michael at freepascal.org> wrote:
>> b) a ? b : c
>> From the people that responded in the core discussion, the majority was for
>> the a ? b : c syntax, or not adding at all (not all replied).
>
> You mean like literally using "?" and ":" ?

Yes. As used in C-like languages.

>> If someone feels like submitting a patch that implements a ? b : c, it may
>> well be taken under advisement. I heard no-one speaking out clearly against
>> the actual functionality (well, maybe one) or the a ? b : c form.
>
> aha, I see, Sven's message wasn't clear about it, it sounded like core
> is completely against any implementation.

Quoting Sven:

"There will be *no* replacement in the foreseeable future."

So

"Foreseeable future" <> "eternity" ? "may be implemented" : "will never be implemented"

> While actually simply no-one is working on the desired solution, which
> are 2 very different things.

Provided you know what the 'desired solution' is, yes.

>> "if then" is a statement. This is a clear and unambiguous rule.
>
> The idea was "inline if" not "if"

I don't think you are right there, but it doesn't make a difference either way.

Whether or not 'if' is preceded by 'inline' is irrelevant.

'if then else' says 'statement', not 'expression'.

'?' clearly says 'operator' hence, 'expression'.

Michael.