[fpc-pascal] LLVM Backend Support

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 19 14:29:13 CEST 2016

Am 19.08.2016 13:24 schrieb "Jonas Maebe" <jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be>:

> Jonas Maebe wrote on Fri, 19 Aug 2016:
>
>> On 19/08/16 10:51, Sven Barth wrote:
>>>
>>> Why is it that 32-bit targets would be a bit tricky to implement?
>>

>> It's because our code generators don't have full generic support for 32
bit architectures with 64 bit integer "registers". It's possible to
implement support for something like that (the JVM code generator does it),
but then you have to take care of it in various code generator units. We
have separate defines for cpuXXbitalu and cpuXXbitaddr, but they don't
handle everything everywhere in the generic code yet.

> Another, more important, issue is that the LLVM-based compiler also
includes the regular code generator for the targeted architecture (to
generate entry and exit code for pure assembler routines). This means you
have both a 64 bit ALU and a 32 bit ALU code generator in the same binary,
which may need different constant values (e.g. OS_INT should be OS_32 for
one and OS_64 for the other -- so that may have change from a global
constant into a class field).

Ah, okay, thanks for clearing up.

Regards,
Sven