[fpc-pascal] Installing fpc

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Tue Sep 8 11:43:56 CEST 2015

On Tue, 8 Sep 2015 11:21:18 +0200
"Tomas Hajny" <XHajT03 at hajny.biz> wrote:

>[...]
> > I do think that Steph means the FPC tar as Lazarus does AFAIK not have a
> > tar-installer like FPC does...

True.
It provides a source tar (and a zip) though.

> Alright, could be. However, if this is the case, I'm afraid that the
> resolution of the file owner in the tar installer may not solve the issue
> with requirements of the debian package for Lazarus mentioned at the
> beginning, because dpkg would probably not consider the dependency of the
> Lazarus .deb package on FPC 2.6.4 or higher as fulfilled if FPC was
> installed using the .tar installer rather than the appropriate .deb
> package. I may be completely wrong, of course, but that's what I would
> assume based on my (limited ;-) ) knowledge of dependency handling for
> dpkg, etc.

Correct. You can force it, but I would not recommend that.

If you can install Lazarus via dpkg then I recommend to install
fpc via dpkg too.
If you can't install FPC via dpkg, see below for compiling Lazarus on
a debian system:
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Installing_Lazarus#Downloading_Lazarus_Source_Code

Mattias