[fpc-pascal] Installing fpc

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at hajny.biz
Tue Sep 8 11:21:18 CEST 2015

On Tue, September 8, 2015 11:10, Sven Barth wrote:
> Am 08.09.2015 09:04 schrieb "Tomas Hajny" <XHajT03 at hajny.biz>:
>> > To come back to the response on my email: I've started off by
>> > downloading the lazarus1.4.2.deb file (I use Ubuntu 14.04) and used
>> > gdebi and later dpkg without success, the message was consistently the
>> > fpc > 2.6.4 was required, and although I have installed fpc-2.6.4 the
>> > result remained the same.
>> >
>> > So I downloaded the .tar fail and execute sudo ./install, that was
>> when
>> > I got the message:
>> >
>> > "invalid user: ‘michael:michael’"
>>
>> OK, so if I understand it correctly, you refer to a tar file of Lazarus,
>> right? (Otherwise please provide the exact .tar name or preferably the
>> download URL.) While Lazarus and FPC cooperate closely, this mailing
>> list
>> is related to FPC (i.e. just the compiler plus RTL and other non-visual
>> units supplied with it rather than the RAD / GUI IDE built on top of
>> these) and you might be better asking questions about Lazarus releases
>> in
>> one of the fora on http://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org.
>
> I do think that Steph means the FPC tar as Lazarus does AFAIK not have a
> tar-installer like FPC does...

Alright, could be. However, if this is the case, I'm afraid that the
resolution of the file owner in the tar installer may not solve the issue
with requirements of the debian package for Lazarus mentioned at the
beginning, because dpkg would probably not consider the dependency of the
Lazarus .deb package on FPC 2.6.4 or higher as fulfilled if FPC was
installed using the .tar installer rather than the appropriate .deb
package. I may be completely wrong, of course, but that's what I would
assume based on my (limited ;-) ) knowledge of dependency handling for
dpkg, etc.

Tomas