[fpc-pascal] FPC linking syntax error

patspiper patspiper at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 15:50:29 CEST 2015

On 21/06/15 14:58, Marco van de Voort wrote:
> In our previous episode, patspiper said:
>> Compiling the following simple program (from fpc prog manual
>> http://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/prog/progsu46.html#x53-520001.2.46)
>> yields a linking syntax error:
>> Is this a bug?
> Not of a general kind, since it works on most Linux distros. E.g. it works
> fine on my debian jessie 64-bit.
>
> So it must be something particular to your Linux installation or
> distribution. So best is to tell something about that installation.
- I tried to link manually using the fpc produced link.res and got the
same error.

- I removed the section INPUT(-l c) from link.res and linked manually
(adding -lc as an option):
/usr/bin/ld -b elf32-i386 -m elf_i386
--dynamic-linker=/lib/ld-linux.so.2 -L. -lc -o program1 link.res
Success!

I changed the following part in link.res:
INPUT(
-l c
)
INPUT(
-lc
)
and manual linking works!

So the issue is fpc producing link.res with a -l c instead of -lc. Which
program specifically produces link.res?

Note: Newer ld built from source produces the same results.

Stephano