[fpc-pascal] Interface syntax: Is possible don't use specialize in mode objfpc?

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Fri Jul 17 18:32:33 CEST 2015

On Fri, 17 Jul 2015, silvioprog wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 11:24 AM, Graeme Geldenhuys <
> mailinglists at geldenhuys.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 2015-07-17 15:08, silvioprog wrote:
>>> Using the generics I could do a generic
>>> DAO that could be used by any class, avoiding TPersonDAO, TProductDAO,
>>> TOtherMyEntityDAO and providing a simple and useful CRUD layer: just
>>

>> I fully appreciate that there could be some uses, but I don't agree it
>> makes the language any better - in the contrary, it makes it much harder
>> to read. Pascal used to pride itself by being an easy to read and
>> understand language [by a human].
>>

> I agree with Michael too, but a nice thing to allow other programmers to
> make new libraries could be adding new features in the language, making it
> more productive.

Where is the proof that these new features make you more productive ?

I created a code generator that creates boilerplate classes and associated unit test cases.
All with in essence D7 style code, ready to go.
I don't think that generics would do anything to improve the situation.
I could gain a few lines because I could use a generic list&enumerator,
but that's it.

> I'm working in a new lib and I'm having several problems
> to keep compatibility betten FPC and Delphi, so I'm using a lot of IFDEFs,
> even using mode delphi.

To improve this situation I advocate NOT yet to spend effort on new
language modes, but first get the Delphi compatibility to a decent level.
I think that this will do more to help productivity than new modes.

After that, we can still see about new modes. I'm not arguing about that.

Michael.