[fpc-pascal] How to use FCGI in threaded mode?

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Fri Jan 30 15:01:31 CET 2015

On Fri, 30 Jan 2015, Marco van de Voort wrote:

> In our previous episode, Michael Van Canneyt said:
>>> Am I wrong thinking, that using "proxy FCGI" projects are a lot easier to
>>> manage, anyway, as here you can use normal debugging means (e.g. Lazarus) ?
>>
>> Not really.
>
>>  On windows they must be service programs, which are an
>> absolute horror to debug.
>
> Stability wise it is best, but depending on technology this is not a hard
> _must_.  The ISAPI framework that I once used allowed the main application
> to be both app and service, and for debugging purposes one used the
> application form.

I know. My own proxy fastcgi apps worked like that.

But if you are on a headless server, then a windows service is the only really viable way.

You can start messing with run entries in the registry, but the problem remains the
same: the app must be running when the webserver starts.
Best way to achieve that is a service.

The alternative is to let the webserver control the program instances.
And except for debugging purposes, this is still the best approach IMHO.

Michael.