[fpc-pascal] Lack of 'volatile' a serious issue. Any other such caveats?

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Sat Dec 19 17:33:17 CET 2015

http://lists.freepascal.org/pipermail/fpc-pascal/2015-October/045446.html
>>  > [...]
>>  > language behaviour that may be unexpected if you are used to
>>  > e.g. C, but that is considered normal in Pascal
>>  > (the above behaviour was already
>>  > defined in the Extended Pascal standard in 1990/1991:
>>  > http://www.pascal-central.com/docs/iso10206.pdf , Section 6.9.3.9.1 on
>>
>> I find that kind of answer disappointing. In this particular case, the
>> FreePascal developers could  have just provided that guarantee.
>

> not really... backwards compatibility and all that... borland's TP and BP
do the same... at least back as far as v6... i can't get to my v5 or v3 to
test but i daresay that they, too, do the same... looking forward from
them, i would hazard a guess that delphi also does the same...

> but then again, perhaps the devs could provide that guarantee in one of
the available language modes... perhaps with an additional mode switch...

Why should we? That will only prohibit potential optimizations of the
loop...

Regards,
Sven