[fpc-pascal] with statement using mulltiple objects

Ewald ewald at yellowcouch.org
Tue Sep 16 16:08:15 CEST 2014

On 09/16/2014 03:41 PM, Philippe wrote:

> I imagine that who really want to get rid from the hint ... donĀ“t use
> Pascal anyway! or do have strong test tools!!!
>
> one point is that (many?) people use "with" ... and compiler can make
> it safer. may be as described Frederic Da Vitoria ... producing error
> when may be confused. (but let configure it!)

The issue is that when you introduce this hint, it is almost certain
that someone will ask `how to disable that hint?` on this list.

IMO it would be a waste of time to implement such a thing. If I were a
developer (hmm, actually I am one :-) ), and I would work on a project
like FPC (meaning: in my free time, not getting paid to do the job), I
would invest my time in something that actually means something, like
fixing a bug, optimizing the RTL for a specific target, writing
documentation, etc... We are programmers after all, not end users who
want to be treated with silken gloves.

You've only got 10 choices really: either you like the `with` statement,
or you don't. In the latter case don't use it. Remember that the
original question was about functionality, what this thread has now
evolved into is, in my opinion, off-topic.

--
Ewald