[fpc-pascal] how to disable case sensitivity for file names on *nix?

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Sat May 10 23:14:15 CEST 2014

On 10.05.2014 20:09, waldo kitty wrote:

> i'm using git to pull a project from sourceforge to a windows box and to
> a linux box... on windows, the project compiles fine... on linux,
> though, all of the files' names are lowercase but the sources have upper
> and CaMeL cased file names in the uses and include statements... i have
> no control over the project or the git repository it originates from...

FPC will look for each unit and include file (including directory names)
in lowercase, UPPERCASE and AsWritten (AFAIK even in that order)

> i surely don't want to have to edit the sources to lowercase all the
> uses and includes statements every time i update my local
> repositories... how can i get it to compile on linux no matter what case
> the names are? is there anything i can do on my side of the fence to
> tell fpc to operate case insensitive? hopefully a simple command line
> option i can easily add to my build script?

You can't tell FPC to operate in a totally case insensitive way, because
then the compiler would need to check for ANY possible spelling of the
filename (plus extension), because if an underlying filesystem is case
sensitive then a.pas would be different from A.PAS which would also be
different from a.PAS as well as A.pas and so on...

Regards,
Sven