[fpc-pascal] Prospects for running Lightspeed/THINK Pascal and Codewarrior Pascal with FPC

Jerry lanceboyle at qwest.net
Thu Aug 21 07:41:33 CEST 2014

Hi list,

I have a lot of old Pascal that I am getting interested in reviving. It was originally written in Lightspeed/THINK Pascal (did I mention it is old?) and around 2000-2002 I converted it to Codewarrior Pascal. These are both Macintosh dialects.

What are the prospects of running each of these dialects under FPC? Are there compatibility flags to set? Would there be much rewriting?

One of the things that I recall being possibly unique and possibly troublesome now is that under THINK Pascal, there was a built-in text I/O window and a built-in graphics drawing window, both of which I used. In the latter case, it was mainly MoveTo(x, y) and LineTo(x, y) stuff. When I moved to Codewarrior, I was somehow able to emulate that both text and drawing windows. I suppose the text window became a normal terminal (whatever Codewarrior offered). I can't remember if Codewarrior offered a drawing window or if I had to make a crude one using a (now) Carbon window.

What do you think?

Jerry