[fpc-pascal] GUI confusion

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Sun Sep 29 18:50:15 CEST 2013

On 29.09.2013 15:24, Patrick wrote:
> Hi Everyone
>
> I really like the pascal code I have looked at and I am very excited
> about FPC. I hope this email won't upset anyone, it is a bit negative.
>
> I don't really like IDEs. I used gvim and I suppose it could almost be
> called an IDE as well but I mean I would rather use the shellr then
> clicking on a build button.

IDEs are less about "build buttons", but about the additional features
they provide:
- integrated debugging
- error location highlighting
- code completion
- code refactoring tools

> I am trying to learn what Lazarus is all about but I am still clueless.
>
> There are screen shots of it being used to develop GTK and QT
> applications but I have also read that GTK 2 is new and buggy and then
> there is this line:

It seems that this wasn't updated for quite some time...GTK2 is no
problem today and is the standard GUI interface for Lazarus on Linux

> "The FPC Qt4 Binding is not meant to create Qt applications in FPC. But
> it should allow the Lazarus LCL developers to create a Qt Widget set for
> Lazarus"

I would say scratch that sentence. The first part can be more or less
considered nonsense...

> Can I build GTK 2 (or 3) and QT applications in this?

GTK 3 is not yet supported, but GTK 2 and QT are.

> Could anyone point
> me to resources on how to build GUI applications without Lazarus?

You could take a look at the packages/gtk2/examples directory of a FPC
source distribution.

Regards,
Sven