[fpc-pascal] Generic Observables

Graeme Geldenhuys graeme at geldenhuys.co.uk
Thu May 2 22:49:18 CEST 2013

On 2013-05-02 20:26, Michal Wallace wrote:

> I was experimenting with using some of FPC's features together and came up
> with this:
>
> https://github.com/tangentstorm/lazmvc/blob/master/umodel.pas

Just curious. If you use interfaces already, then why use message
methods for notifications? Why not simply stick to "designing to a
interface" theory, and use the interface support you already have?

You might also find Model-GUI-Mediator (MGM) interesting. I wrote an
article about it some years back. You can get a copy of the artile with
sources here:

  http://opensoft.homeip.net/articles/

tiOPF (a Object Persistence Framework) has a much more advanced
Model-GUI-Mediator implementation that currently works with VCL, LCL,
fpGUI and FireMonkey. See the tiBaseMediator, tiModelMediator,
tiMediators and tiListMediators units, or simply compile Demo 21
(available for VCL, LCL or fpGUI), which is a simple Address Book demo
using only MGM to build and manage the whole UI.

  http://www.tiopf.com

Also an interesting read - especially if you are into Interface usage
and model design. Some years back Joanna Carter (well known in the
Delphi circles) wrote several articles building a basic
Model-View-Presenter (MVP) framework, using interfaces extensively. This
has taught me so much about using interfaces.

  http://www.carterconsulting.org.uk/MVP.htm

Anyway, thanks for sharing your code. It is nice seeing others also
interested in better data and UI modelling - compare to the crappy
db-ware design Borland forced onto the world.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/