[fpc-pascal] [news] DA-Soft discontinues AnyDAC component suite

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 1 12:33:20 CET 2013

On 01.03.2013 12:28, Juha Manninen wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 11:52 AM, Sven Barth <pascaldragon at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Indeed. Like was the case with the project FireMonkey is based on...
>
> I have heard mixed comments about FireMonkey. I don't know what to
> think about it myself.
> I seriously considered using it about half a year ago for a project
> but I didn't because FireMonkey 1 was so beta quality.
> However, that is not a fault of its architecture. It was just not ready yet.
> Are you saying its architecture is flawed, too?

I didn't say anything about the architecture (I didn't test FireMonkey,
so it would be unfair I'd judge it). What I criticize is that
Embarcadero buys technologies (the predecessor of FireMonkey, AnyDAC)
and then only concentrates developing it for their current IDE. AFAIK
the most current FireMonkey version in XE3 doesn't support FPC anymore.
And it might be only a finite time until FireDac also doesn't support
FPC (and older Delphi versions) anymore.

> I understand this is off-topic in a FPC list. It you want to answer
> elsewhere, fine. Lazarus list could be better because FireMonkey is a
> direct competitor of LCL (cross-platform and all).

As I'm not talking about FireMonkey's architecture, but Embarcadero's
style of business it would be off-topic on either list :)

Regards,
Sven