[fpc-pascal] can someone please email me a zipped hello world binary program MIPS big endian for testing on my MIPS hardware?

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-pascal at telemetry.co.uk
Thu Jun 13 13:31:39 CEST 2013

Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> Dennis Poon wrote:
>> Since I have spent days but still cannot produce a helloworld binary
>> for MIPS big endian, I need someone to to produce that for me so I can
>> test it on my MIPS hardware.
>>
>> I need to know at this stage whether a FPC produced program compiled
>> for MIPS (big endian) can actually run on my hardware.
>> If that result is negative, I shall need a totally different approach.
>
> I've just checked and I have big- and little-endian "Hello, World!"
> programs natively-compiled that run on Debian Linux on Qemu. I can send
> either or both if it would help, but I'd caution that they date back to
> around Xmas last year and something /could/ have changed with the
> compiler since.
>
> Big endian (on appropriate system):
>
> $ file test
> test: ELF 32-bit MSB executable, MIPS, MIPS-II version 1 (SYSV),
> statically linked, stripped
> $ ./test
> Hello, World!
>
> Little endian (on appropriate system):
>
> $ file test
> test: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, MIPS, MIPS-II version 1 (SYSV),
> statically linked, stripped
> $ ./test
> Hello, World!
>
> /But/ I've got a vague recollection that somebody else had problems
> running on some router or other, which is one of the reasons why I fired
> things up at the end of last year and did some careful builds. I can't
> remember exactly where that one got to- I suggest that you look back
> through the fpc-devel and fpc-pascal archive.

Our gateway is dropping some messages due to attachments or something.
Dennis, note the archives at
http://lists.freepascal.org/lists/fpc-pascal/ and
http://lists.freepascal.org/lists/fpc-devel/

| Mark,
| Yes, please kindly send both test executables to me.
| Also, if you say the compiler has changed since last christmas, do you
| know how  I can download the fpc sources version of last christmas?

OK, you should have them but I would say that this isn't easy for me at
the moment: my host system is too slow to be realistic and booting the
two targets took around an hour.

The compiler was 2.7.1 (trunk) as of about revision 23218. In practical
terms I'd suggest starting off with the current trunk from svn and only
trying an older revision if really necessary.

If these don't work for you then I think we need to work out what's
going wrong, in case it's a general OpenWRT thing.

Note below for the big-endian system:

$ file ./test-mips-msb
./test-mips-msb: ELF 32-bit MSB executable, MIPS, MIPS-II version 1
(SYSV), statically linked, stripped
$ cksum ./test-mips-msb
3420485397 68988 ./test-mips-msb
$ ./test-mips-msb
Hello, World!
$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
system type             : MIPS Malta
processor               : 0
cpu model               : MIPS 24Kc V0.0  FPU V0.0
BogoMIPS                : 78.08
wait instruction        : yes
microsecond timers      : yes
tlb_entries             : 16
extra interrupt vector  : yes
hardware watchpoint     : yes, count: 1, address/irw mask: [0x0ff8]
ASEs implemented        :
shadow register sets    : 1
core                    : 0
VCED exceptions         : not available
VCEI exceptions         : not available

Note below for the little-endian system:

$ file ./test-mips-lsb
./test-mips-lsb: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, MIPS, MIPS-II version 1
(SYSV), statically linked, stripped
$ cksum ./test-mips-lsb
2200884524 69468 ./test-mips-lsb
$ ./test-mips-lsb
Hello, World!
$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
system type             : MIPS Malta
processor               : 0
cpu model               : MIPS 24Kc V0.0  FPU V0.0
BogoMIPS                : 65.53
wait instruction        : yes
microsecond timers      : yes
tlb_entries             : 16
extra interrupt vector  : yes
hardware watchpoint     : yes, count: 1, address/irw mask: [0x0ff8]
ASEs implemented        :
shadow register sets    : 1
core                    : 0
VCED exceptions         : not available
VCEI exceptions         : not available

On my email etc. system:

$ cksum ./test-mips-*
2200884524 69468 ./test-mips-lsb
3420485397 68988 ./test-mips-msb

I've sent these in a tarball. I trust that you will accept that if the
files arrive with the correct checksums that they've run successfully
for me here.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk