[fpc-pascal] Re: [Lazarus] Should TObject or TComponent have a Comment property?

Kenneth Cochran kenneth.cochran at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 17:26:59 CEST 2013

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 4:24 PM, Kenneth Cochran
<kenneth.cochran at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 3:53 AM, Mattias Gaertner <
> nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de> wrote:
>
>> Do you mean hovering over the component in the designer?
>> At the moment the hint shows only the caption and some common values.
>> It could be extended to show the help for the variable. Feel free to
>> create a feature request.
>>

> I think he's referring to hovering over the component icon on the
> component pallet. Right now the tool tip shows the class name and the unit
> it is defined in. I think he wants it extended to include a description of
> the component's purpose. So hovering over the TButton icon would display:
>
> TButton
> (StdCtrls)
> A push button control.

I'm all for making components more discover-able but I don't think
increasing the memory footprint of every control with a comment or
description field is the right solution. Using the FPDoc info already
available would be a good solution. I prefer this to the JavaDoc/XMLDoc
style comments in the source. I'm willing to give it a go but I've never
done anything extensive with either FPDoc or the IDE internals. Anyone have
a ballpark guess as to how much effort would it take to extend the tooltip
for the component pallet to display the <short> tag from the FPDoc info?