[fpc-pascal] Re: SDFDataset users!?

Reinier Olislagers reinierolislagers at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 17:45:58 CEST 2012

On 24-9-2012 17:22, michael.vancanneyt-0Is9KJ9Sb0A at public.gmane.org wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Sep 2012, Reinier Olislagers wrote:
>> 2. Presumably sdfdataset is used to exchange data with Delphi systems
>> using tstrings.delimitedtext. Therefore I'm stressing Delphi
>> compatibility in my tests. Do you think this is justified?
>
> No, definitely not. The two are totally unrelated.
I'm very confused here. To say the least.

So remarks like these from sdfdataset:
14/Ago/01  Version 2.00 (Orlando Arrocha)
      Delimiter property added to TSdfDataSet. No more dependency on
CommaText
         methodology -- choose your own delimiter.

means sdfdataset just happened to use commatext but the format does not
need to be sdf?
(SDF => see
http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/Libraries/en/System.Classes.TStrings.CommaText)

And the name sdfdataset does not mean the dataset actually needs to use
sdf format data?

Then as far as I'm concerned, I'll withdraw the TestInputOurFormattests
from
packages\fcl-db\tests\tcsdfdata.pp
as that doesn't make sense.

Further, I propose removing multiline support for sdfdataset as 22882
proves sdfdataset cannot read multiline fields (it can write them).
Multiline fields are possible with Delphi sdf (see bug 19610), but as
sdfdataset need not be compatible, this can be stripped out to avoid
"half a functionality".

Finally, I'll post on the forum that sdf compatibility is not one of the
goals of sdfdataset.

Is there some defined on-disk format that sdfdataset should be following?

Thanks,
Reinier