[fpc-pascal] Free Pascal 2.6.2 rc1

waldo kitty wkitty42 at windstream.net
Wed Nov 28 00:17:10 CET 2012

On 11/27/2012 17:48, Bart wrote:
> So, to make a long story short, I just need the installer to be Win9x
> compatible, the current rc1 does not need any special build as far as
> I am concerned.

FWIW: the installers have been, in recent times, the problem with many software
packages... for instance, adobe flash on w2k... the installer won't run because
of a missing dll export... this particular export has to do with loading from a
certain path...

there are two ways around the problem... one can patch (actually hex edit) the
installer executable to call the old routine (which is parameter compatible and
fits in the same name string space) OR one can install a replacement "forwarder"
kernel which provides the new calls and passes the existing ones on back to the
original kernel...

in either case, adobe flash still runs just fine on w2k without and
modifications or "forwarding" kernel in place... in fact, the only place that
the "forwarding" kernel is needed is in the special directory that you perform
the install from... other than that, the rest of the OS doesn't have a clue
about it...

so i say "BOOOOOO!" to the installer groups that are forcing "designed"
obsolesce where it is not necessary...