[fpc-pascal] synapse and OS/2

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at hajny.biz
Sun Nov 11 13:05:11 CET 2012

On 10 Nov 12, at 20:29, waldo kitty wrote:

> before i get too much further along on this project, i guess i should ask about
> the ssleay32 and libeay32 libraries on OS/2...
>
> i'm developing this project on windows with the ultimate goal of copying the
> source files over to my OS/2 (eCS2) box and compiling it there with FPC... i
> have another project that uses only about four of the synapse39 files and they
> required some modification to compile on OS/2 with EMX... i'm concerned that i

Have you submitted your OS/2-specific changes to the Synapse
developer so that they could be included in the project for future
versions?

> may run into the same problem with synapse40 as well as not being able to have
> the needed ssleay32 and libeay32 files for accessing https sites...
 .
 .

I don't have direct experience with using Synapse (under OS/2 or
otherwise), but two more general comments:

- If these libraries are supposed to come from OpenSSL, I've found a
note in some Internet discussions that libeay32.dll is name used in
the Windows port of OpenSSL for libcrypto (available for OS/2 as
either crypto.dll or kcrypto.dll/kcrypt10.dll - see my second note
below) and similarly ssleay32.dll is Windows specific name for libssl
(available for OS/2 as either ssl.dll or kssl.dll/kssl10.dll).

- OpenSSL is available for OS/2 in at least two flavours / ports. One
of them uses the original libc port created with EMX (emxlibc.dll).
This port for OpenSSL 0.9.7a is available on Hobbes
(http://hobbes.nmsu.edu); I don't know whether there is similar EMX
port/binary available for a later OpenSSL version. In addition, there
are builds using kLibC (libc06*.dll - in particular libc063.dll)
which is a more recent libc port included with the latest GCC ports
for OS/2. These ports were provided by some Japan user. An older
version based on OpenSSL 0.9.8n is also available on Hobbes, but the
latest builds are only available from his website
(http://bauxite.sakura.ne.jp/software/os2/#openssl; the URL included
with the build on Hobbes is not valid any longer). Notes on his page
indicate that it should be still possible to compile OpenSSL with the
original EMX GCC but there is no binary provided for this on that
page. Now - which version to use probably depends on whether you need
to use other libraries using libc or not. If you do, you should
probably use the same libc version also for openssl. If you don't,
you can probably choose either of them (although I assume that the
later version might be better protected from attacks).

Hope this helps

Tomas