[fpc-pascal] Darwin i386

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Sun May 20 13:02:01 CEST 2012

On 20 May 2012, at 02:59, Andrew Brunner wrote:

> I'm having a hard time with GDB and debugging threads on a OSX 10.7.4 with
> fpc/trunk
>
> The shipped gdb worked great with the exception of threads calling methods
> via synchronize (so I can debug).

What are you doing exactly, what happens, and what is the expected result instead?

> I'm in the process of building GDB from download and configure set gdb to
> x64 darwin.  Configure detected correctly but my gdb 7.4.1 app fails to
> load with some ioctl error.  I'm assuming fpc can't compile darwin x64 yet.

a) FPC can in fact compile for x86-64/Darwin, although that's unrelated to any of the above
b) the error you are getting are probably due to the fact that your gdb binary hasn't been blessed to allow it to use the necessary OS calls

Google "gdb" together the exact error message you are getting, and you will probably find instructions about what you have to do. Or more easily: just use fink or macports to compile/install a different gdb (macports is more likely to have the most recent one available), then everything will be taken care of for you. It's unlikely that it will help with the problem you are having though, because I've never heard of any problems particularly related to debugging multithreaded applications with the stock gdb on Mac OS X.

Jonas