[fpc-pascal] Re: 2.6.0 for Solaris?

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-pascal at telemetry.co.uk
Wed May 9 20:37:12 CEST 2012

microcode at zoho.com wrote:
> On Wed, 09 May 2012 16:10:06 +0000 Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
>
>>> There is a directory for Solaris SPARC but it is empty. Is it possible
>>> to get 2.6.0 for Solaris SPARC? Thanks again.
>
>> I've got a copy that I've built and run here, but I started off with an
>> earlier version and had to jump through a few hoops to get it installed.
>>
>> I strongly recommend using 2.6 as an interim release on SPARC, since
>> there were code-generation bugs that weren't fixed until a few months
>> ago- the fixes are in 2.7.1 but haven't been backported.
>
> I am not sure I understood your message. 2.6.0 SPARC isn't available for
> download, but you suggest it as an interim release because of fixes in an
> upcoming release that probably won't be backported. So I guess you mean
> even if I could get 2.6.0 built I should realize when 2.7.something comes
> out that's the version I should use? If so, no problem. I will go over the
> buildfaq suggested earlier and see what I can do, possibly with the 2.7.1
> you mentioned.

Your question, as given unambiguously in the subject line, relates to
2.6.0. I'm telling you, equally unambiguously, that you don't want to do
that. You might need to start off with an older binary to get yourself
going, or you might be able to get hold of a binary for 2.6.0, but
having done that, in the case of SPARC, you want to get onto 2.7.1
rather than relying on 2.6.0's correctness.

> I have no particular need for 2.6.0, I just normally try to get the stable
> release of whatever new thing I decide to try out and I understood from the
> website 2.6.0 is the one I should use.

You are, of course, free to ignore my advice.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk