[fpc-pascal] Re: xterm -e program-compiled-with-fpc2.4.0 doesn't work

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Fri Mar 9 10:39:13 CET 2012

On 09 Mar 2012, at 10:24, max wrote:

> My general wish for the compiler programmer would be that old
> versions would
> still be available and installable in the future as new versions
> sometimes
> show strange behaviours on old prorgams

They generally remain available. However, versions prior to 2.2.2 had
to be removed because they contained code that may have been copied
(or at least heavily based) on code from the Delphi or Kylix RTL.

> [ this has happened before when the
> internal representations of real numbers were altered leaving my old
> data
> files unreadable]

The internal representation of real numbers has never been changed in
FPC. FPC's "real" type is different from the emulated 6 byte "real"
type in Turbo Pascal, but it always has been different.

Jonas