[fpc-pascal] Windows Phone 8 + pascal

Ludo Brands ludo.brands at free.fr
Mon Jun 25 08:21:50 CEST 2012

> Page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_RunTime
> says that WinRT is a COM-based API and uses a .NET-like
> metadata format.
> So it is not native code after all then. I don't know why
> they advertised it as native. I guess it is faster than .NET
> code because it is not managed. I thought that .NET allows
> non-managed code, too.

There is a subset of the winapi that is available for metro applications:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/br205757.aspx. In the
Graphics area you'll find a lot of drawing functions and d2d,d3d support
which is porbably what the game developpers are interested in.
Note that C is not an offically supported language anymore (C++ is). A lot
of the available winapi interfaces are handling com interfaces. Most system
api's used in the fpc rtl are gone in favor of the new ones introduced in
win7 or win8. So, yes, you can develop "native" metro apps that run on win8
desktop and win8 phone but not by using the old winapi functions.

Ludo