[fpc-pascal] Variable alignment in arm-embedded

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at hajny.biz
Wed Jun 13 13:35:18 CEST 2012

On Wed, June 13, 2012 12:55, alrieckert wrote:
> Tomas Hajny-2 wrote
>>
>> Sorry for a possibly stupid question, but is this offset
>> (conceptionally)
>> comparable to the -WB option used for some other targets? If so, it
>> might
>> make sense to extend it also for your case...
>>

> Hi Tomas,
>
> Not a stupid question at all. To be totally honest, I have no idea what
> the
> -WB parameter does.

You can find some information about the image addresses on MS Windows on
http://docs.embarcadero.com/products/rad_studio/delphiAndcpp2009/HelpUpdate2/EN/html/devcommon/compdirsimagebaseaddress_xml.html
and
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/calvin_hsia/archive/2007/07/27/dll-image-base-addresses-are-the-same-in-xp-different-on-vista.aspx.
Maybe that helps you to check if it is conceptually similar/comparable, or
not.

> I tried to play around with it, but it tells me
> illegal parameter -WBxxx

Yes, the parameter is enabled only for certain platforms (see the compiler
help listed if calling it without parameters), that's why I talked about
extending it (by enabling it for another target on line 1704 of
options.pas in trunk and adding support for using the passed value in
t_embed.pas - see TExternalLinkerWin methods SetDefaultInfo,
WriteResponseFile and MakeExecutable in t_win.pas to see how it is
accessed and used for the Windows targets).

> Basically what needs to happen, is al link time, the link script needs to
> take the flash start address as a variable from somewhere. So this is an
> example of the current link.res  that is generated by the compiler. The
> origin and lengths are hardcoded.
>
> and all that needs to happen is you need to be able to set the
>
> with either a parameter or as compiler directives.

(Re-)using image base would provide both options.

Tomas