[fpc-pascal] Where and how is the FPC documentation created?

Frank Church vfclists at gmail.com
Wed Feb 29 16:59:48 CET 2012

On 29 February 2012 15:44, <michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be> wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Feb 2012, Frank Church wrote:
>
>  A few months ago I inquired and got some info about FPC docs - discussed
>> in
>> this thread
>> http://lists.lazarus.**freepascal.org/pipermail/**
>> lazarus/2011-November/068595.**html<http://lists.lazarus.freepascal.org/pipermail/lazarus/2011-November/068595.html>
>> ,
>> the result of which can be found here - http://fpdocs.rca2.net and here
>>  -
>> http://fpdocs.rca2.net/user/**user.html<http://fpdocs.rca2.net/user/user.html>,
>> when FPC was at 2.4.4
>>
>> When I visit the source page
>> http://www.freepascal.org/**docs-html/user/user.html<http://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/user/user.html>it is not on 2.6.0.
>>
>> 1. Are the created by a tool or hand edited?
>>

> Depends on what you mean. The docs are made by hand. When we make a
> release,
> we manually upload the new version.
>

>> 2. Is there some page where the original docs are created?
>>

> No.
>

>> 3. Are they text files that are stored under version control?
>>

> Yes.
>

>> 4. Is there some page where previous versions are available?
>>

> No.
>

>> PS. After some searching questions 2, 3 and 4 are answered -
>> http://svn.freepascal.org/svn/**fpcdocs/<http://svn.freepascal.org/svn/fpcdocs/>
>> .
>>
>> One more thing is there some other page where the commit messages for the
>> files are noted? I can only see plain text.
>>

> No.
>
> Michael.

I am asking because if there some changes to some of the pages because of
new language facilities etc, some features, deprecated etc commit messages
would make it easier to track what is new and what has been changed. The
pages are also not dated so it is difficult to find out what may be
pertinent in the present and what is old and perhaps little used.

Another question, are you and Florian Klaempfl the main or only
contributors? Is it open to only a few people and do you upload it for
general viewing only when it is ready? In a nutshell is it possible to non
contributors to view the changes as they are happening?

--
Frank Church