[fpc-pascal] What is the most widely used Pascal on Linux and other Unix variants?

Noa Shiruba shiruba at galapagossoftware.com
Mon Feb 27 16:24:08 CET 2012

Hi Frank,

On 2012/02/27, at 19:15, Frank Church <vfclists at gmail.com> wrote:

> What is the most widely used Pascal on Linux and other Unix variants?
>
> Is it Free Pascal?

Well I don't have any data to back this up, but I would certainly say FPC.

There is gnu pascal, but it fails to compile even trivial turbo pascal style programs, and is really just a front end to gcc.

There was Kylix, but it was abandoned, and long ago overtaken by FPC feature-wise.

Delphi has recently shown renewed interest in cross-platform support, but the IDE itself only runs on Windows, so far as I am aware.

In the Mac os area, FPC also supports legacy Mac pascal dialects, as well as having native objective support, so it provides a good migration path.  FPC can be used for Mac os native and/or cross-platform apps.

I used to help out with virtual pascal, which also had experimental support, but it is very x86 specific, and has fallen behind in feature support, due to difficulty in modifying the asm blob that is the compiler support.

Sibyl (sp?) is quite os/2 centric.

I would say that FPC is the only real competitor to Delphi right now, and it works on Windows, Linux, BSD, and mac os.  In fact, FPC even has an experimental java byte-code target now.

Thank you,
    Noah silva