[fpc-pascal] OT: Amazing new development tools

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 21:56:03 CET 2012

On 26 February 2012 14:38, Michael Van Canneyt  wrote:
> Take a school. To be able to test for example data entry of a pupil who
> comes to inscribe, I need to create and set up the whole eco-system for my
> pupil:
>
> ...snip...

> linked together somehow. For the same reason I never understood the use of
> 'test data generators' functionalities in database modeling tools. The
> generated data is utterly useless...

I haven't viewed the video yet, I will tomorrow at work. From
everybody's comments, it sounds very interesting.

Regarding your comment on data generators. I can say that I have (in
our company product) a very similar data structure as you described
above. I have created a "data generator" for our product and it does
work with our complex data model. It generates realistic data, not
just random text garbage (that is indeed useless - maybe this is what
you were referring too). We used the data generator for performance
testing. Populating for example our Learner table with 500 000
learners (and there related data - like addresses, subjects, schools
etc), and then see where any bottlenecks occur in our UI or SQL.

I think tiOPF's demo 21 uses a similar data generator to what I
created in our Master Maths product. Our company product just uses a
much greater scale of generated data. So bottom line - a realistic
data generator can be very useful.

  - Graeme -