[fpc-pascal] Easy way to install FPC 2.6.x on Mint Linux?

Juha Manninen juha.manninen62 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 15:03:02 CET 2012

2012/2/20, Ludo Brands <ludo.brands at free.fr>:
> I retract my proposal :) If you haven't installed from a foreign
> distribution repository before then there are too many risks for messing up
> your complete installation. You asked for an easy way: this isn't easy when
> never done something similar before.
>
> Cant you use the debs from
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/freepascal/files/Linux/2.6.0/deb/ ? Or is
> that what you are trying to avoid?

I exactly wanted to avoid them. The download page looks like a joke.
It has 44 files. How is one supposed to know which ones are needed?
Or, if they are all needed, how do I download all of them without
clicking them one-by-one?

There is the default .tar.gz package which has a good install script
and I decided to go with that. Installing was easy but ...

Linking ../lazarus
/usr/bin/ld: warning: ../link.res contains output sections; did you forget -T?
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.6.1/crtbegin.o when searching for
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.6.1/crtbegin.o
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.6.1/crtbegin.o when searching for
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.6.1/crtbegin.o
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.6.1/crtbegin.o
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lpthread
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -ldl
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lc
lazarus.pp(136,1) Error: Error while linking
lazarus.pp(136,1) Fatal: There were 1 errors compiling module, stopping
Fatal: Compilation aborted

Now I don't have any working FPC on this system.
Earlier I have managed to build and use FPC trunk, even wrote
documents about it
(http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Getting_Lazarus#Getting_FPC_SVN_development_version)
but now I can't install a released FPC version to the world's most
popular Linux distro (Mint).

Uhhh, I became a distro-hopper again because of other serious problems
with other distros.
It is funny how people still think the Debian based package system is
the best. It was so maybe 10 or 15 years ago but not any more.

Juha