[fpc-pascal] TStringStream.DataString returns garbage?

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 23:03:15 CET 2012

Hi,

What am I doing wrong in the following code? It always fails on test
number 2. The DataString property is returning garbage, and not the
value equal to the 'Graeme Geldenhuys' string.

var
  srcstream: TStringStream;
  s, f: string;
  i: integer;
begin
  s := 'Graeme Geldenhuys';
  srcstream := TStringStream.Create('');
  { I purposely do this, because in my real-world code TStringStream will
    be populated with many .Write() statements. }
  i := srcstream.Write(s, Length(s));
  CheckEquals(i, Length(s), 'failed on length of string');    // passes
  srcstream.Seek(0, soFromBeginning); // not sure if needed
  f := srcstream.DataString;
  CheckEquals(s, f, 'Failed on string content 2');    // Fails!
  srcstream.Free;
end;

  - Graeme -