[fpc-pascal] Re: Identifier not found "result"

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-pascal at telemetry.co.uk
Thu Aug 30 15:20:46 CEST 2012

Rainer Stratmann wrote:
> Am Thursday 30 August 2012 14:39:06 schrieb leledumbo:
>> Since this behavior is documented, one should read the documentation first:
>> http://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/ref/refse76.html
>
> There is much documentation spread over many servers.
>
>> Anyway, how could one find that Result is used as function result without
>> reading the docs?
>
> The scenario occures when someone starts freepascal as I already documented in
> my first E-Mail.
>
> When someone wants to compile a TurboPascal or Delphi program with freepascal.
> Then he already knows that result is a function result, but freepascal gives
> an error about this.

I agree. However I don't know whether a blanket "you're in the wrong
mode, lackwit!" error message would be a solution, since it's possible
to envisage cases where result is an ordinary variable and should be
referenced as such- irrespective of mode.

procedure xxx(var result2: yyy);

begin
   result := zzz

--